The earliest records, from the water department, show service was first provided to this site in 1875. The general consensus is that the towering Queen Anne structure was moved to this location from across town. The structure is believed to be from an older residence that was remodeled in 1893 for it’s owner, coal dealer Arthur C. Campbell.
In 1882 a second residence was erected on the southwest corner of the lot. The cottage, as it stands now, was originally a 2-horse stable and later the residence of upholster John Reynolds in 1893. That property was damaged in a fire in 1893 when an adjacent property burned.
The Arthur Campbell house’s curvaceous basement to attic tower, shingled wall surfaces, and balcony projections are a few of the elements that are indicative of the Queen Anne style popular locally in the late 1880’s and 1890’s. The rear view of the property tells a different story. Symmetrically proportioned gabled Italianate, complete with quoins and two stories of arched, decoratively framed windows, all typical of the 1870’s suggest the back was once the front of the home before it was moved from its original location in another part of San Francisco.
In 1903 Arthur C Campbell sold the property to watch-maker and jeweler James A. Sorensen who resided there with his family until 1925 when the property was sold to Charles McCaleb who lived at the property for 42 years. During the last years of his ownership, and his life, the property fell into disrepair and was condemned in 1965. After his death the property was retained by the heirs until 1974.
In 1978 the home was acquired by Arthur Allison, a self-employed gardener who transformed the expansive gardens with a variety of prize-winning roses and other flower plants. Some still present today.
In 1995 the home was transferred to the current owner where the home received tremendous care by restoring many of the architectural elements of the home.